This month has seen many new words and terms, and also new meanings, added to the Oxford English dictionary (OED).
These new additions include:
- beatboxer, n. – a performer who uses (amplified) vocal effects to imitate the sounds and rhythms of hip-hop music.
- bestie, n. – a person’s best friend; a very close friend.
- demotivated, adj. – to feel less enthusiastic to work or study.
- ethnopharmacological, adj. – related to the scientific study of substances used medicinally by different ethnic or cultural groups, especially folk remedies.
- exfoliator, n. – something that causes material to be shed in scales or layers.
- scissor-kick, v. – to perform a kick which involves a scissor-like motion of the legs, as in swimming or soccer.
Can you come up with your own definitions for these new entries?
- DIYer, n.
- do-over, n.
- scientificness, n.
- toilet-paper, v.
- wackadoo, adj. and n.
Check out the full list of new additions here.